Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 6- March 25th

In the morning, we visited Gilead Pharmaceuticals, which was located outside of San Francisco- the farthest we'd been out of San Francisco all week! Gilead is a pharmaceutical company that produces drugs, and many of their drugs are for HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis B. We were given presentations about Gilead's drugs and its efforts to reduce cost to reach the maximum amount of people with their drugs (Atripla, Truvada, etc.). It was interesting to see how Gilead, as a pharmaceutical company, worked both to proliferate its drug in the HIV/AIDS community, as over 60% of HIV/AIDS patients apparently use a drug created by Gilead. Learning about their efforts around the globe also allowed our group to see how the company was working to help the issue of HIV/AIDS, especially in areas of low-income and education. Our group was given a tour of some of the chemical and biological labs at Gilead, and it was interesting to see the scientific perspective of dealing with HIV and AIDS. As a smaller pharmaceutical company compared to Merck and GSK, our group noticed distinctions in the structures of the companies and perceptions of how drug companies maintained "profitable"- the entire experience allowed us to see everything from the commonly "vilified" drug company's point of view.
We then attended a policy panel at the Center for AIDS Prevention located at a UCSF branch. Meeting with different people involved at the Center for AIDS Prevention really showed us how the work being done in the field of HIV/AIDS is so broad. We heard from one woman who had researched the "ballroom" communities and how they dealt with HIV/AIDS, along with sexual health and community. We also heard from a worker from the San Francisco Department of Public Health, who talked about his work in the HIV/AIDS field. Lastly, we learned about WORLD (Women Organized to Respond to Life Threatening Disease), and the efforts to help women dealing with HIV.
Later, we visited the office of Bay Area Young Positives, where we learned about the "actual harm" of various sexual acts by organizing them into a line of increasing "ability to transmit HIV/AIDS". While there, we also made condom packets that we would later pass out during our outreach at The Crib.
We then visited the STOP AIDS Project, where we were instructed on how to fill out special surveys for the organization that would help them assess different needs in the community, especially in the Castro. After we had some basic instruction, we were placed in different stretches of the Castro where we worked to interview people for our surveys, as well as passed out condoms to promote sexual health. While there were definitely some instances of chilly and cold responses, most of the people in the Castro were extremely responsive and friendly- something that I definitely had not expected. This was definitely one of the highlights of our week, as we were able to do some hands-on volunteering work in the community regarding HIV and AIDS.
After our work in the Castro, we worked again with Bay Young Positives at The Crib, an 18+ club in San Francisco that has a large gay and bisexual demographic. We worked also by having people fill out surveys about their own sexual and drug health, as well as handed out the condom packets that we had packed earlier in the day. It was fun being able to meet people who were attending the club, and people were actually friendly and willing to fill out the survey- especially if you caught them while they were just coming in or waiting in line for the bathroom. Comparing the two demographics of the Castro and The Crib was interesting, as the two communities had very different targeted age ranges, but we were doing mostly the same type of work for both.

Jonathan Hsieh

1 comment:

  1. I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or what'sapp him on +2347081986098.. God Bless you Sir.

    ReplyDelete